Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

ice ice ice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROB N
A Class Forum Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk of the Chart House in Lakeville running on Saturday (31st).

Sunday (1st) we are running at Union Lake with 2 plows and a truck.

-Rob
MIKE S
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm thinking of going. Any takers?
MIKE S
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what time do they run at chart house
ROB N
A Class Forum Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chart House around noon
MILO B
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any plans for Feb. 7/8? How'd the ice hold up on Union Lake last Sunday?
KC FUNK
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEB 7 10:30 or so at union. I am working on a course at Bay City getting close to being complete if any one wants to spend some quality time plowing or has a truck plow give me a call..
ROB N
A Class Forum Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILO B wrote:
Any plans for Feb. 7/8? How'd the ice hold up on Union Lake last Sunday?

The ice was good on Sunday when we left. As long as it stays plowed after everyride it should stay in good shape. Marc and Kurt plan on riding on the 7th at Bay City or Union. Some one should update where and what time. I'm out of town untill Sunday and plan on riding in the afternoon if I can find a plow.

-Rob
MILO B
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the club's ATV with plow operational? Or is there something else?
GREG K
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Saturday Reply with quote

Leaving for Union at 10:30 am from Zumbrota.
THOMAS E
Legislative Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILO B wrote:
Isn't the club's ATV with plow operational? Or is there something else?

The ATV is operational. It was not working well about a week ago, but Andrew serviced it and it ran great on Sunday (7th).

The plow on the other hand needs work. The bottom plate that the plow's blade is mounted to is seperating from the running arms. No bodys fault, just poor manufacturing. Inspection of the welds shows that there was zero penetration. The plow and atv are up at Kurts right now, and the plow will be fixed before weeks end.
MILO B
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons learned: We, Tom,Logan,Greg, and Lynn, rode up on the west side of the Metro with Tom's relatives, friends, and others on Sunday. They've got a 1.8 mile track laid out and they flooded it for us (my story and I'm sticking to it) and served sloppy Joes and beans afterwards. Smooth hockey rink kind of ice when we arrived for 1.8 miles plus an oval track. The Kenda true ice tires worked soooooooo much better than other versions with the same screws. About 30 bikes on the lake so lots of shavings, plowed off twice by ATVs with plows while we were there. The track was plowed with a 3/4 ton Chevy hauling a ton of salt in the back so it's about 20 feet wide, they're working on a broom, so it'll only get better. Holes drilled so the pump gets access to the water to flood the track and smooth out the ruts. Whata hoot!
Shared rides gave us a glimpse of the other side. I experienced a 510 Husky, lowered, with real ice tires although TB's old 406 ATK with proper tires held it's own, save the two strokes! And the weather was probably about as good as it gets in February north of Iowa! Clean living pays off again!
NATE D
Double A Forum Poster

Location: In a suburban forest of idiots driving compact SUVs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THOMAS E wrote:
[
The plow on the other hand needs work. The bottom plate that the plow's blade is mounted to is seperating from the running arms. No bodys fault, just poor manufacturing. Inspection of the welds shows that there was zero penetration. The plow and atv are up at Kurts right now, and the plow will be fixed before weeks end.

Not poor manufacturing, poor operation. Kurt showed it to me Saturday night. Someone's not letting off the winch "up" switch before the push tubes contact the bottom of the ATV frame. So the plow frame's upward movement is stopped but a 2500lb winch is still pulling, and you're seeing what part of the assembly comes apart first. Cycle Country is sending a new push tube assembly free of charge even though it's not really their fault. I've sold hundreds of these plows this winter alone and I would have had heard of others doing the same if it was a manufacturing defect.
THOMAS E
Legislative Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

I was just reiterating what Kurt told me over the phone. He told me the welds had zero penetration and seperated from the assembly.

The real root cause of all this is a stop block not designed for a "Rope winch". Does Cycle County have a fix for this?
KC FUNK
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor manufacturing.... no penetration... maybe this one was made on the monday after the superbowl Crying or Very sad If it was never a problem they would have wanted the old one back and probably not been so quick to ship a replacement part. I think unless you were running the plow you don't know how it was used . It was not abused... end of story. Exclamation Exclamation The people who were running it were : Kurt(me), Tom E, Rob N., Marc H. If someone wants to give lessons on how to run a plow I for one would be glad to show up with my bike and run laps behind/infront of them and enjoy the lesson Wink
the plow is all welded up with the origional parts . the new parts arrived tuesday and are still in box.
MIKE D
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the push tubes made contact with the latent portion of the inner blade, causing fatigue on the alloy surface, resulting in the situation at hand. Also contributing to the problem, the operator of the plow was likely anxious to lose the training wheels and step onto a two-wheeled variety, causing excitable winch operation, resulting, once again, in major fatigue on the inner alloy surface. Professor Dodge said it best, when a 2500 lb winch attempts to "winch" and nothing wants to give, well, something is going to give. This further proves that the girder spec ratios were unfavorable and gave lackluster results when the leading edge of the plow was measured with a micrometer. A 9V battery was used to secure test leads to either side of the blade. The results came in and were baffling. How, they surmised, could a 9V battery be used to create -48V on the right side of the plow, yet sustain a constant
-12V on the left side of the plow? Some simple deductions were formed, and the hypothesis was that the plow was operating in a talk-battery environment and that the lower push tubes had gone "off-hook", thus creating the -36V voltage drop and maintaining it on the left side of the plow.

So, in closing, I believe the easiest way to fix that plow is to get a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: